Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week 5 - museum trip

Hiya! Basically a normal school week this week. Tuesday-Thursday was lectures and the weekend was going to be spent rewriting, specifically my 10 minutes script. Friday afternoon however I wanted to spend some time enjoying the weekend before delving into the depths of homework so I went to museums with some of my classmates! The reason for doing this on Friday is that is when the Vapriikki Museum is free, from 3 - 6.

There I am giving an amazing speech. I could select froma variety of speeches or songs to have playing, but everything was in Finnish so I don't know what this particular exhibit was about.
 

This is from the Labor Museum. They had a bunch of pictures of factories from Helsinki and Tampere. This is the sewing machine used in one of the factories and would you look at the size of those scissors!

They had a bunch more sewing machines in the textile museum, which was connected to the Labor museum. I thought this sewing machine was cute.

This was the tiniest sewing machine, from the children's toy collection in the Vapriikki Musuem.
 
More toys from Vapriikki

Some Moomin dolls

This rocking horse had some rockin' hair!

Nice classic style of rocking horse
 
Cabbage Patch dolls in Finland!

We had fun at the museum :D This was from the textile museum I think
 
Now THAT is a book. Fabric company kept samples of all their fabrics in this book.

The Vapriikki Museum had an exhibit about shoes! This is one of the machines used in making shoes. You put glue on the shoe to attach the sole then put it in the machine and it'll hold it in place while it dries. It may also speed up the drying, I'm not sure because the video showing how it would work was, again, in Finnish.
 
They had these big machine parts in the basement, I think it was a train engine. Ai-Chi and I climbed inside while Maria took our picture.
 
The big black thing is this HUGE wheel in the middle of the room. I don't know what its purpose is but it had these ropes around it. Down where I'm standing there was a helpful sign telling me what I'm looking at in Finnish and English : "rope". I would never have known without the sign's guidance :D
 
Vapriikki Museum had a really cool exhibit with Finnish wildlife. There were skulls and stuffed examples. This is the raven. I hadn't realized how big these birds are. There is nothing in this picture so you can tell the size, but they are bigger than pigeons.
 
An example of Finland's Hooded Crow!
 
And, at the end of the day, I saw this fountain while we were leaving. It wasn't turned on and my picture is taken from too far away. I will have to go back and get a better picture.
 
That's all for this week!
 

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment