Monday, October 21, 2013

Conwy

Hey,

I had a great time on the trip and I took lots of pictures. Enough to split them into two posts. So today you get my Conwy Castle pictures. I will probably save the other for Sunday...because I'm not doing anything interesting this week to give you pictures of :P


 
Another trip where I was on my own in a crowd. The castle is open for visitors to explore as they want and I walked through every doorway and shady stairwell I could find.
 

Some stairwells were pretty dark. The sliver of light coming from the arrow slits (also known as arrow loops).


A very tiny stairwell and a small doorway. I didn't have to duck through any doorways, but if was just a bit taller I might have needed to...

Picturesque view from the castle.
 
The city beneath the castle. The wall that was built is still standing and goes through the town. It has grown a bit beyond the walls now. I didn't realize until later that people are allowed to walk along the wall! By the time I realized it was time to get back on the bus so I only got to climb up, then go back down.
Having trouble seeing the wall?

Here's a guide :)



The wall from the outside.

Is it just me...? I go to Wales and find a pub...that sounds like ice cream, but looks like Mexican fast food. I did a double-take when I passed this in the street.

This lil' place claims to be the smallest house in Great Britain. How small?

Here are some people to give it scale. That is a doorway I would have to duck to use. Welsh people aren't terribly short. Who were these buildings sized for?


How cool would it be to drive around in a city where you can give directions like, "turn left and head toward the castle" :D
 
I did some sketching while I was at the castle. This one was from the top of a tower. I didn't quite finish it because it started raining...But I got the idea down.

Just a quick sketch. I drew this on my way out of the castle and I was getting hungry >.<

Drew a window...from a window. I was hiding from the rain. I had an umbrella, but I can't hold that and sketch at the same time ;)
 
Those are the highlights for the Conwy portion of my visit. Next time, Penrhyn Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment