Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Taste of Manchester

Well, due to teachers not feeling well, class was canceled this week. Left my classmates and I with time to go do stuff in Manchester AND I even took my camera with me this time.

 
Friday night we went to a Ludovico Einaudi concert. He is an Italian pianist and the concert was beautiful. Ludovico played on the piano you see on the stage there, and was accompanied by a small orchestra made up of some violins, cellos, violas, as well as a variety of other instruments as required (percussion, electronic, acoustic guitar, etc.) His music is amazing and I encourage you guys to check him out!

 
On Saturday I went with some friends to one of Manchester's art galleries. I believe this is the main one, because it's right there in the city center.


 
This was an interesting one. The fabric is covered in what I think are pins. Was interesting and warranted a few close inspections, but I couldn't get a good picture of the details.
 

A visit to a museum or art gallery wouldn't be complete without a few drawings! This painting caught my eye. There is so much expression in the poses of the animals! With my sketch I was just trying to mimic the motion and poses of the figures.


This painting is entitled "Ophelia" The word on the frame are a quote from Hamlet, describing Ophelia's suicide. I was drawn to this one more for the colors and the mood the colors envoke for the figure. I didn't try to copy the colors in my version, just playing around with sketching with that drawing. I may go back and try a more detailed copy at some point though.


 
After the museum we went to one of my friend's favorite café hang outs, a place called Home Sweet Home. I ordered the cheesecake as seen above. They have a different flavored cheesecake everyday. That day it was Reese's and Oreo. It was REALLY good.

They serve the cheesecake in this jar. It is amazing cheesecake but very sweet stuff and I found I couldn't finish the whole thing as much as I wanted too. Perfect for sharing though :D

Their fries are also excellent. My friend tells me their burgers are equally excellent but we weren't that hungry at the time. The French fries remind me of the Cajun style fries at Five Guys. Very yummy and they give you the sauce on the side there which was really good and very spicy. I will definitely be going back here :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good week! Thanks for all the pictures. Can you bring me back some of that cheesecake?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it'll make it through customs :P You'll just have to come here and get some!

      Delete