Sunday, March 10, 2013

Zombies in Your Kitchen Sink

Whew. I worked a lot this week. Working consisted of sitting in front of my laptop drawing a blank most of the time. I managed to achieve my goal of finishing my homework by Saturday, sorta. I finished before I went to bed Saturday but technically it was 12:30 am Sunday. I'm still counting it as a win though!

For fun this week I went to a special pre-screening of the new tv show called In the Flesh that is coming out on BBC 3. When the British people I met have heard this, their reaction is "Oh. BBC 3." Further inquiries reveal that BBC 3 is known to be the cheap channel, low budget. I didn't have this prejudice going into the show so that didn't bother me :)

I enjoyed the show. It is about a rehabilitated zombie who returns to his home having to deal with the fact that he killed people as well as living in a town of zombie haters and family drama. It is not your typical zombie movie, not a lot of blood and guts (though there is a bit). In the Q&A session the writer and director both liked to describe the show as a kitchen sink drama. This means its kinda slow paced and the tension hovers just under the surface. A lot of the time kitchen sink dramas move too slowly for me, but the zombie level of complication gives me something to stay interested in while the family and societal dramas play out. It comes out March 17th (I think) and I plan on watching more. We got to see the pilot episode. It is an hour long episode, and only three episodes.

I meant to go out and see an Irish music gig this weekend. The Manchester Irish Festival started on Friday and they are doing a whole lot of Irish activities to celebrate St. Patrick's day, for a whole week. I didn't make it to the one I original looked at but there are a lot to choose from so this week hopefully I will make it to at least one!

I have been bad about taking pictures. Here is just a few so that I leave you with something.

I visited a friend's house to write and saw this magpie in their backyard. I had to take some pictures because one of my dragon characters in my current script is named Magpie. Her scales are a black and white pattern like a magpie's. So imagine this cute little bird as a dragon but still as captivated by shiny things :)

When I'm not writing at home or at a friends house we like to go to cafes to write. This is one we often go to, Fuel. This is the upstairs which is very cold. Could be sitting outside, except we have wall plugs for our laptops :) We sit downstairs when it's not full but that doesn't always work out.

Mmm, peanut butter cookies I made. Brain food for writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment