Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's my Birthday

As you may realize from the title, it was my birthday this week. I was told by various members of my screenwriting gang to plan to do something on my birthday, my choice. I apparently didn't have a choice about planning something. I considered a few options and decided on laser tag. Bowling we had done before, ice skating times weren't too convenient, and while paintball sounded awesome, it also sounded painful. So, I found a laser tag site, booked ahead, and we tried it out.

 
 
I was part of the red team and we were REALLY bad. First game it was about 100 R - 600 G. Well, half my teammates didn't know we were suppose to go after the other team's base for big points. We took one of green team's players and played again. I thought I was doing better at least but when the game was over it was 40 R - 640 G....By myself I had thousands of points so I really don't understand the scoring system. Does the final team score only count hits on the base? We decided that the British hate red and the game was stacked against us :O
 
 
Afterwards we went out for dinner and I had fish and chips for the first time. It was very good and I plan to have again, probably quite often.
 
 
This week also marked our first day back at school! We've split us up into two group and each week we will read half the group's progress on their script. My script was one of those. I was feeling pretty good about it. I knew I had some issues in my script but was thinking it just needed some ironing, but after hearing from my teacher and thinking about it all this week it feels like the whole story needs a major rewrite. It'll be tough, especially because I haven't sat down and written any more on it this week, but I think the changes will be for the better in the long run.
 
 
Here are a few pictures of the campuses. Our classes are held at MediaCityUK.
 

This is the lobby where we all met up at the beginning of the day. There was this horrifying video playing on the screen back there, over and over again about the miracle of birth. We stayed there though because we were meeting our teachers down there and we didn't have a classroom assigned yet. I was sitting in one of the chairs facing the screen and when it came time to start class we were all relieved.
 
Here's one of the upper level rooms. The furniture is all clean lines and modern as seen here. The stairways are cool and have large colored glass panes as barriers. Each floor has a different color glass so the building feels kinda whimsical in that sense rather than simply practical.

This is the view from the bus stop on our way home. It was raining when we left so the picture quality is just so-so.
 
I also visted the main Salford campus. This was the view across from that bus stop :)

University of Salford is in the middle of a park with a river. I thought it looked nice (I mean, hello, there are plants that's a miracle in itself) but the other students were not impressed. We are all glad we chose to live in Fallowfield rather than on campus. I will admit that Platt Fields by our house is a greener park.
 
 
Well. That's the main stuff for this week. Today we are going to the city center to check out Manchester's Chinese New Year celebrations. It should be fun!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a fun time on your birthday even if you did not win. Si may not be very proud though. =O I enjoyed seeing pictures of your campus and more of the city.

    ReplyDelete